Research has shown it’s equally important to properly care for your child’s feet as it is their teeth and eyes. The foot does not fully develop until age 16, and your child's growing feet would benefit from being monitored by a podiatrist and this may prevent uncomfortable foot conditions from developing. There are some children who demonstrate awkward walking patterns, which may be a result of the toes turning abnormally in or out, or if the toes overlap or turn under. It’s suggested that wearing shoes before the child begins to walk may restrict the muscles and tendons from gaining maximum strength. This may be a result of the feet not being able to move and stretch with ease. When shoes are purchased as walking begins, the child will benefit from wearing shoes that offer comfort and stability. A podiatrist will be able to answer any questions you may have regarding the health of your child’s feet, so please schedule a consultation.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact Dr. James Kutchback of James Kutchback, DPM. Our doctor can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children's Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of intoeing or outtoeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water, and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our offices located in The Woodlands and Woodville, TX. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about What to Do to Keep Your Child’s Feet Healthy